A back-to-school penguin with some helpful words of advice for the new school year!
General Tips for Starting School
1. Smile and introduce yourself to people- whether you’re sitting next to them or have seen them in more than one of your classes. Everyone likes to make new friends (even if we’re too shy to do it most of the time).
2. Find which clubs look interesting and go to their first meetings- there’s never an obligation to join, but you might meet a lot of new friends.
3. Get advice from other students on if your classes/teachers are difficult and figure out which ones you’ll need to work the hardest in.
Tips for Starting College
1. It’s normal to feel a little lonely or homesick. It’s a huge change into a whole new environment, but you will adjust quickly.
2. Track how long it takes to walk to your classes! If it’s across campus, it might take 15 minutes to get there (and to find the room).
3. Keep an eye on your meal plan- you don’t want to run out or have a lot left over. *Go out and eat dinner with people as a nice way to make friends!
4. Don’t buy textbooks from the school’s overpriced bookstore! Find them sold online instead, or even as e-books.